Today, I made an orange cake bursting with fresh and juicy flavor. I boiled the oranges myself and put them in the cake batter. I made it with very soft soufflé dough, and the cake was even more delicious.
The side of the cake was so pretty that it was impossible to capture it in photos and videos. It’s a pity that I couldn’t capture all of this beauty in video. This cake tastes really good too. Wouldn’t the orange be too thick to interfere with the texture? don’t worry about. As you can see in the video, the cake is very soft.
● Cake finished size ( 18cm*6cm )
● Orange confit ( 3mm thick)
160g water (1/2 cup + 2Tbsp + 2tsp)
110g sugar (1/2 cup + 1Tbsp)
20g Orange Liqueur- (optional) (1Tbsp + 1tsp)
Food coloring (optional)
● Orange Jelly
(Mold size: 13cm)
1 orange pulp
50g orange juice (warm) (3Tbsp + 1tsp)
5 g (1 tsp) sugar
2 g (1/2 tsp) powdered gelatin
10 g (2 tsp) water
● Orange Soufflé Cake
(Mold size 34cm*25cm)
65g milk (1/4 cup +1 tsp)
65g unsalted butter (1/4 cup +1Tbsp)
100g cake flour (2/3 cup)
1 egg (55 g)
5ml vanilla extract (1tsp)
25g milk (1Tbsp + 2tsp)
4 egg whites
105g sugar (1/2 cup + 1tsp)
● Orange Crème pâtissière
30g sugar (2Tbsp + 1tsp)
90g milk (1/3 cup + 2tsp)
110g orange juice (1/3 cup + 2Tbsp)
9g orange zest (1 piece)
10g cornstarch (1Tbsp + 1tsp)- (can be replaced with soft flour)
15g unsalted butter (1Tbsp)
● Orange Cheese Mousse Cream
140g cream cheese
20g sugar (1Tbsp+2tsp)
50g orange juice (3Tbsp + 1tsp)
10g lemon juice (2tsp)
5g powdered gelatin (1tsp + 1/2tsp)
25g water (1Tbsp+2tsp)
Orange patissier cream
170g heavy cream (60% whipped) (3/4 cup)
● Decorating whipped cream 120g (60g+60g)
1. Cut orange it in 3mm thickness. Set aside for a while.
2. First, I’ll make the syrup. Melt the sugar and bring to a boil, add the sliced oranges. Bring to a boil over low heat, remove from fire when it starts to bubble. Add orange liqueur + food coloring for a more vivid color. Please cool down slowly. Cool it down. ( About 3 hours).
3. Prepare the orange zest. You can make a thin zest without hurting your hands. Separate only the pulp with the remaining oranges.
4. Make orange jelly. Use warm orange juice, use food coloring to make the orange color. Fridge for 2~3 hours.
5. Dry with a kitchen towel. It is convenient to draw a guide line. Put some oranges on it. The remaining pieces are good to make orangette.
6. Cake flour is prepared by sieving, add the flour all at once, eggs. Today I need a fluffy cake dough recipe.When it boils, take it off the fire, add the flour all at once. Mix well. Back on the fire until a thin film forms on the bottom of the pot.
7. Transfer to a large glass bowl. Divide the eggs into 7-8 batches and add little by little, mix it with a spatula. Cover with kitchen wrap to prevent the dough from drying out.
8. Make meringue. Milk use temperature: 50C (122F). Put part of the dough in a pastry bag. Fill in between the oranges.
9. Pour hot water. Bake in the oven at 165C (329F) for 45 minutes. (Double bath).
10. Cut it 6cm wide, cut into 1cm thick. Glaze on the orange to keep it from drying out. Cut the cake length 1.5 cm longer.
11. Make orange pastry cream. It can be substituted with cake flour. Let cool down to 26C. (80.6F) Soften the cream cheese. Mix in the pastry cream prepared in advance. There is no need to filter the zest. Fridge for 3~4 hours.
12. Please refer to the description box for the glaze. Refrige for 30 minutes. I squeezed whipping cream and decorated it. The orange flavor is so good.